Who Needs Romance When There's Steak and Mushrooms in Wine Sauce?
Valentine's Day is a fun, romance filled event, but it can also create pressure to make a romantic meal for your special partner, or pressure to go out and find a special partner. So whether you are cooking for two, for friends, or for yourself, here's a great recipe for a savory mushroom sauce made with Le Mulet Rouge Faux Pas, a luscious Port and Late Harvest Syrah blend. We suggest it here with beef, but it would be just as good on pork or with a savory slab of grilled cauliflower as a shroomey vegetarian feast!
Marinade for steak (cut of your choice)
Place in a large Ziploc bag:
· 3/4 cup Le Mulet Rouge Faux Pas Dessert Wine
· 1/2 cup Olive Oil
· 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· 2 Tbsp fresh, whole Rosemary leaves
· 2 beautiful steaks
Marinate the steaks in the fridge for a minimum 4 hours, up to 24 hours. Remove 30 mins. before grilling to bring steaks to room temperature Pat the steaks dry to ensure a good sear and season with salt and pepper. Grill to medium rare, or done to your choice, and let rest for 10 mins.
· 8 oz. sliced Baby Bella mushrooms
· 1 Tbsp olive oil
· 1 clove minced garlic
· 1 Tbsp butter
· 1 Tbsp cornstarch
· 1/3 cup Le Mulet Rouge Faux Pas Dessert Wine
While the steaks are tempering and grilling, make the mushroom sauce.
Put the sliced mushrooms in a cold saute’ pan and bring to medium high. When they have released their moisture, about 10 mins, and the pan is almost dry, move them to the outer edge of the pan and add the olive oil, butter and garlic to the center. Reduce to medium heat and saute’ the garlic for one minute. Combine the mushrooms and garlic, add the Faux Pas and simmer for five minutes. Completely dissolve cornstarch in 1 Tbsp cold water and stir into the mushrooms. Continue stirring until the sauce thickens, 1 to 2 mins. Spoon the mushrooms over the steak and garnish with a sprig of Rosemary. Don’t forget to finish the bottle of Faux Pas with dessert (or for dessert!).
- recipe courtesy of Tracy Hart, and approved by her special partner, Randy.
- This dish pairs well with Le Mulet Rouge Artisan blend, which is Cab Franc, Cab Sauv and Malbec, or our Cab/Syrah blend, Liberte’, or with our Reserve Syrah for a very special treat.
- Side dish suggestions are with roasted potatoes in olive oil and sea salt, sautéed French green beans with slivered almonds, or pan roasted Brussel sprouts with garlic (yeah, it's Valentines day, but who doesn't love garlic?).